Monday, October 15, 2007

This morning I woke up at the usual time to go jogging. I always set my alarm for six but don't actually wake up until about six thirty. It's really weird how my mind just knows that's it's six thirty because I don't hit snooze, I just turn the alarm off. Well I guess I feel like I need to jog to not gain anymore wait because it's not like I'm losing any. I guess I eat too much, too much candy, too much M&M's and oreos. So that's not the point, this morning I get up to go jogging and I am usually all alone here in this neighborhood. My brother lives over here on Bass Blvd so I figured that it's pretty safe. There is no one out when I'm jogging except for this little shiatsu that meets me in the same spot almost every morning.

Well this morning was really different. I was feeling so sleepy but got up anyway and headed out the door. I usually walk up to the corner, about ten feet, and get to jogging right away. I try to not jog with my head down, so as soon as I catch myself I lift it up right away. Well as soon as I take off I am staring down the street and it's a way down to the end. I think that I see the shape of someone but since it's Halloween I figured that it's just decorations. As I am getting closer I see the shape of a kid standing on the curb but closer to the street than the curb. I'm anxious to get there so I pick it up a little and sure enough it's a little boy. I'm looking around for someone but I don't see anyone else. I stop at him and I say hi and he says hi back. He looked about five or so, and I ask him what he is doing out all alone. He said something that made me laugh in a scary situation like this, he said he couldn't sleep. I asked him which house was his and he pointed to it. So I walked over and rang the door bell. Someone finally came to the door and I just said " I found him outside". His dad was freaking out and thanked me and asked me how far down he was. I said not far and started walking away but then turned around really quickly and asked the little boy if that was his dad? He said yes and then I felt dumb for asking.

I couldn't stop thinking about that little boy today. I was just so grateful to God for putting me there this morning even though I was so sleepy and tempted to sleep in. It's weird how we start wondering the "what ifs", it's like we expect the worst. I hope you all aren't thinking I should have called CPS. I mean it could have happened to anyone right? I did think it was weird that he was able to reach the locks. Wonder why people don't put higher locks on the doors anymore. Now it's just the lock on the door knob and one right above it.

9 comments:

Sal said...

wow. what a morning. i wonder how i would have handled that. i probably would have thought he was waiting for the bus or something. unless of course he was just in pajamas.

he did a great thing. your good deed of the day happened so early.

anyway, you painted that event perfectly. i felt as if i was there.

LUCY said...

Well he had no shoes but he was wearing a batman costume, too cute. I was tempted to steal him, awe I'm kidding. He held my hand all on his own as we walked up his driveway, I guess that's also why I thought he was so cute.

DeeDee said...

That is an unbelievable story, but you're right, God just happened to put you in the right place at the right time, cuz would it of been someone else, who knows what would of happened. And nah, I wouldn't of called cps, I've got a kid who's smart enough to put a chair and open the lock that is higher than he can reach, so it happens!

Sal said...

by the way, if i was a stalker, i would now know where to find you every morning!

Jean Kincaid said...

Lucy, you are sweeter than snuff and not half as dusty. I'm responding to you here from Sal's blog so I won't get into any more trouble over there. I think Dale and I will just adopt you as our own. Hope you're having a great day.

LUCY said...

Gramma there isn't anyone sweeter than you and thats from the heart.

Preachers wife said...

How nice a new sister! Mom always did want another child..

Sal said...

sweeter then snuff?? ive never heard that. i have a friend who collects farm expressions for his mom. wonder if this qualifies??

juan said...

Yeah I can see the family Resemblence, lol, just having fun picking @ you guys dont cry ok. lol.